Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Election Is Over, What Now?

Temple Baptist Church - 11-9-2008

Romans 13:1-7

Introduction:


A. The election is over and I did not get my way! I did vote against President Elect Obama in the election. I did not vote for John McCain thought I did give him my vote. I voted AGAINST a man, not for one. I did not vote again President Elect Obama because he was black! If a more conservative black man had run against Sen. McCain, I would have voted for him. This is not a black or white issue with this preacher. I voted against President Elect Obama because I could not vote for him with a clear, godly conscience.

B. The election was done in the right manner, the American way of electing a president, and the man with the most votes won!

C. God, in His sovereignty and providence, put President Elect Obama in office!

Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Esther 4:14b and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for [such] a time as this? (By application, God is allowing our world to wax worse and worse because His coming is near. Prophecy is simply being fulfilled.)

D. I have heard preachers saying that all is now over for our country. We have had liberal presidents before and the nation survived. No doubt, there will be a “payday” for this election, but it is not over until it is over!

E. I did my best for my nation last Tuesday. I prayed for the election, tried to convince others to vote in a right manner in the election, and I exercised my citizen’s right and Christian’s obligation to vote. I would not change any of it.

F. Ok, the election is over so we need to “get over it” and get on with living for the Lord and striving to make a difference. Crying over “spilled milk” will not get the job done. What do we do now?

1. We Need To Pray For Our New Leadership – 1 Timothy 2:1-4 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, [and] giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (Just because the election did not go my way does not mean that I will not back the President of the United States of America as long as I can do so biblically.)

a. I will pray for his safety. He will possibly be targeted for assassination because of his race.

b. I will pray for his salvation. He more than likely needs to be saved.

c. I will pray for his leadership. Our freedom to worship, soul win, and get out the gospel in other lands is at stake.

d. I will pray that he continues to support Israel.

2. Give Our New Leadership The Benefit Of The Doubt. He has not made one executive decision as of yet. We will find out what kind of a president he is over a period of time as he takes the helm of this nation and shows a distinct direction in leadership.

3. We Need To Continue To Be Unashamedly American. I am not ashamed of America nor of being an American! I love this nation and am proud to be a citizen of it. Some are not ashamed of this land but I am not. I do not agree with everyone or everything but that is not the issue. This is my country! I am an American! I will both live for and fight for her!

4. We Need To Refrain From Speaking Evil Of Dignities - 2 Peter 2:10-11 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous [are they], selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. 11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord. (This is a sign of the last day apostates. As I did in the military, I salute the uniform, not the man. Barack Hussein Obama is the President Elect of the United States of America! I will respect him as such to the best of my ability.)

Jude 8-10 Likewise also these [filthy] dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities. 9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee. 10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

5. We Need To Continue To Be Good Citizens - Titus 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,
1 Peter 2:13-15 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; 14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. 15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: (We are to submit! We are to obey! We are be good citizens of this great land. If someone does not like America, then they need to leave our nation.)

6. We Need To Continue To Be Good Christians - Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Others will lean more to the left because of the ridicule that Mr. Huckabee and others have received for standing for Christian values. Politicians will “court” the liberal left because the conservative right can no longer elect a president. I will continue to live a Christian testimony before this wicked world. We will become more and more unpopular as the days go by.)

7. We Need To Pray Hard For Now For A Good Man To Vote For Next Time - Colossians 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.

Ephesians 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (If we do not like who got in this time, we have four years to work on another candidate.)

No comments: