Monday, July 7, 2008

The Lover’s Kiss!

Temple Baptist Church - 6-29-2008

Song of Solomon 1:1-2

Introduction: The word “Kiss” in one form or another is found - 46x in the Bible.


A. Much has been said in the Bible concerning the “kiss.” These instances portray both the proper and improper use of the kiss. In some of the instances of a Bible “kiss,” our hug or handshake becomes the equivalent. It is still a custom in the middle east for men to either touch cheek to cheek or to even give a brief kiss to the cheek of another.

B. The kiss is a very important element of the love relationship! It is not only a wonderful experience for the young married couple, but it is also something for the old as well.

1. It has been tainted by the world into being something casual and careless!

2. As I stated last week, someone once said, “A kiss is the baby’s right, the lover’s privilege, and the hypocrite’s mask.” Thus we find both the proper use of the kiss as well as the worldly perversion of the same.

3. Another said it this way: “A kiss is two divided by none!

C. Often, Israel will meet with one of the Palestinian groups and exchange hand shakes and I normally wonder what is behind the greeting. I want to look at the “kiss” for a few minutes and end up with this one in chapter 1:2 of S.O.S.

1. The Deceitful Kiss - Genesis 27:24-27 And he said, [Art] thou my very son Esau? And he said, I [am]. 25 And he said, Bring [it] near to me, and I will eat of my son’s venison, that my soul may bless thee. And he brought [it] near to him, and he did eat: and he brought him wine, and he drank.And his father Isaac said unto him, Come near now, and kiss me, my son. 27 And he came near, and kissed him: and he smelled the smell of his raiment, and blessed him, and said, See, the smell of my son [is] as the smell of a field which the LORD hath blessed:

2. The Reconciling Kiss - Genesis 33:4 And Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him: and they wept.

Genesis 27:41 And Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing wherewith his father blessed him: and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob.

3. The Separation Kiss - Genesis 48:10, 50:1 Now the eyes of Israel were dim for age, [so that] he could not see. And he brought them near unto him; and he kissed them, and embraced them…And Joseph fell upon his father’s face, and wept upon him, and kissed him.
Acts 20:37 And they all wept sore, and fell on Paul’s neck, and kissed him, (A pledge of continuing love! I remember vividly kissing my new wife as I was being shipped overseas during my army days! A kiss of sorrow but what a kiss! It had to last me for 18 months.)

4. The Reuniting Kiss - Exodus 4:27 And the LORD said to Aaron, Go into the wilderness to meet Moses. And he went, and met him in the mount of God, and kissed him. (Family reunions were times of great kissing in the days of my youth. You had to “run the gauntlet” when you arrived.)

5. The Respectful Kiss - 1 Samuel 10:1 Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured [it] upon his head, and kissed him, and said, [Is it] not because the LORD hath anointed thee [to be] captain over his inheritance? (The recognition and respect of a person of position. We are to respect those in authority, not speak evil of them. Jude 1:8 “Likewise also these [filthy] dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.”)

6. The Friendship Kiss - 1 Samuel 20:41 [And] as soon as the lad was gone, David arose out of [a place] toward the south, and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed himself three times: and they kissed one another, and wept one with another, until David exceeded. (A friend that sticketh closer than a brother! David and Jonathan’s love for each other exceeded that of the love of a man for a woman. It was not a sodomitish love but a bonding love of kindred spirits that lasted through life and even unto death.)

7. The Malicious Kiss - 2 Samuel 20:9-10 And Joab said to Amasa, [Art] thou in health, my brother? And Joab took Amasa by the beard with the right hand to kiss him. 10 But Amasa took no heed to the sword that [was] in Joab’s hand: so he smote him therewith in the fifth [rib], and shed out his bowels to the ground, and struck him not again; and he died. So Joab and Abishai his brother pursued after Sheba the son of Bichri.

Proverbs 27:6 Faithful [are] the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy [are] deceitful.

8. The Reconciling Kiss - Psalms 2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish [from] the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed [are] all they that put their trust in him. (I call this one the “makeup kiss.” The best part of arguing is making up!)

Luke 15:20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

9. The Adulterous Kiss - Proverbs 7:13, 19 So she caught him, and kissed him, [and] with an impudent face said unto him, 19 For the goodman [is] not at home, he is gone a long journey:

10. The Deceitful Kiss - Mark 14:44-45 And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; take him, and lead [him] away safely. 45 And as soon as he was come, he goeth straightway to him, and saith, Master, master; and kissed him.

Luke 22:47-48 And while he yet spake, behold a multitude, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near unto Jesus to kiss him. 48 But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?

11. The Grateful Kiss - Luke 7:38, 45 And stood at his feet behind [him] weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe [them] with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed [them] with the ointment. 45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.

12. The Brotherly Kiss - 1 Corinthians 16:20 All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.

2 Corinthians 13:12 Greet one another with an holy kiss. (A holy kiss!)

1 Peter 5:14 Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace [be] with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen. (A loving kiss!)

D. The one that I want to deal with tonight is “The Lover’s Kiss.”

Song of Solomon 1:2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love [is] better than wine. (This kiss is an evidence if both affection and emotion. Notice His willingness to bestow the kiss and our choice to “let him kiss me.” A kiss is not to be a one sided affair but is to be returned with the same passion as it is given.)

Give me a kiss, and to that kiss a score; Then to that twenty, add a hundred more: A thousand to that hundred: so kiss on, To make that thousand up a million. Treble that million, and when that is done, Let's kiss afresh, as when we first begun. To Anthea by Robert Herrick 1591-1674

Before I continue, I want to give a little “disclaimer.” This kiss, the Lover’s Kiss, is the privilege of the married! I am not going to try to glamorize to our youth tonight but show it in the light that the Holy Ghost used it in Song of Solomon. Young people, leave the kissing of this type for marriage!

THE MEANING OF THE KISS – I want to use a very personal illustration tonight to demonstrate what I am preaching about: “The Lover’s Kiss.”

I remember vividly Barbara, dressed all in green, standing and watching my plane set down as I returned home from the army. My, what a kiss! I would love to have that moment back again! There has been a history of great kisses in our marriage but that was probably the most memorial for me.

1. The Kiss Speaks Of Desire – When I saw Barbara that day at the airport, I desired her more than any other day of my life. I met her and fell head over heels in love with her in the summer of 1962. When I got out of college in 1969, we were married. Two weeks after our marriage, I received my draft notice and in July of 1969, I left for Ft. Knox, Ky. I had been overseas for 18 months when I saw her at the airport in Louisville, KY that July 9th of 1971. She was all that I wanted in my life at that time. What a day! As Bro. Ron Gearis would have said, “Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!” The “Lover’s Kiss” is to be one of desire!

a. Our Lord Desires Us - Song of Solomon 7:10 I [am] my beloved’s, and his desire [is] toward me.

Psalms 40:17 But I [am] poor and needy; [yet] the Lord thinketh upon me: thou [art] my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.

Psalms 40:5 Many, O LORD my God, [are] thy wonderful works [which] thou hast done, and thy thoughts [which are] to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: [if] I would declare and speak [of them], they are more than can be numbered.

b. Our Desire Is To Be Toward Him – You have to desire and accept His kisses before you can ever return them!

Isaiah 26:9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments [are] in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

2. The Kiss Speaks Of Delight – She was delectable! She was beautiful! She was all mine! I loved my mother (who drove her to the airport), but I did not stop at Mom. She made sure that she was out of the way as I had eyes for Barbara alone. It was one of the most wonderful days of my life. I cannot explain how if felt to be with her again after such a long abstinence. Pure delight! The “Lover’s Kiss is to be one of delight!

Psalms 18:19 He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me.

Psalms 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. (It should be pure delight to be with the Lord!)

3. The Kiss Speaks Of Devotion – Those 18 months were long months but she and I kept ourselves pure. Many of the soldiers had German girl friends. GI’s were popular because they were both “taboo” and in uniform. I remember a young man who worked in the Orderly Room, a very handsome and very married young man. His wife stayed in the states like mine but he loved off post with a German girl. His wife visited once for two weeks so he moved the German girl out. When his wife left, he moved the German girl back in. I felt sorry for his wife. He was killed in an automobile accident shortly after that. I stayed pure! My wife stayed pure! When I took her into my arms in that airport, I did not have to remember with shame a German girl left behind. She was mine and I was hers! The “Lover’s Kiss” is to be one of devotion!

Hebrews 13:5 [Let your] conversation [be] without covetousness; [and be] content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Jude 20-21 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, 21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

No comments: