Thursday, May 8, 2008

Learning To Rest

Temple Baptist Church 05-07-2008
2 Corinthians 7:1-6; Psalms 116:7

Introduction:


A. Though a great man of God, the Apostle Paul was still just a man and his humanity shows up in certain passages. I believe that the Holy Spirit placed them there for our admonition and encouragement. We live in tough spiritual times as Satan seemingly throws more and more at us. I believe that he knows that time is short and is pulling out all of the stops in his effort to destroy, defile, discourage, deter, and defame God’s children and sound churches.

B. There are certainly more against us than are for us in these last days. We have become the enemy as evil is called good and good evil. An old song says, “Troublesome times are here; filling men’s hearts with fear.”

C. In Psalms 42:5, the psalmist asks the question, “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and [why] art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him [for] the help of his countenance.” Disquieted: to tremble, move, rage, shake, quake, to be afraid, perturbed.

Psalms 18:6 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, [even] into his ears.

Psalms 25:17 The troubles of my heart are enlarged: [O] bring thou me out of my distresses. Lamentations 1:20 Behold, O LORD; for I [am] in distress: my bowels are troubled; mine heart is turned within me; for I have grievously rebelled: abroad the sword bereaveth, at home [there is] as death.

Romans 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

2 Corinthians 6:4 But in all [things] approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,

Psalms 18:4 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. Psalms 56:3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

D. I know that we are to be super spiritual and fear nothing but that is not always the case with God’s people. We are frail and weak. We are but dust. We are sometimes “disquieted” within our souls as Paul was. In verse 5, Paul was disquieted because of:

1. His Flesh – it is weak, wicked, and wearisome!
2. His Foes – we are attacked, maligned, and persecuted.
3. His Fightings – it’s a battle field, Brother, not a recreation room; it is a fight and not a game!
4. His Fears – though we are to be spiritual enough to rest in the Lord, we are often—as Paul said in 2 Corinthians 4—troubled and perplexed.

E. We become disquieted because:
1. Our Battles are Long and Hard
2. Our Way is Rough and Weary
3. Our Tongues are Bitter and Complaining
4. Our Spiritual Eyesight becomes Dimmed and Limited
5. Our Hearts are Ungrateful and Selfish

F. Our discouragement is:

1. Sinful
2. Infectious
3. But, thank God, Curable

G. As children of God, we need to learn to rest! Humanly speaking, it is hard, but spiritually speaking—it is possible.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

WHERE YOU WILL NOT FIND REST

1. You Will Not Find Rest In Your Circumstances (Though they may improve temporarily, they will continue to change.)

2. You Will Not Find Rest In Human Reasoning (The world has no spiritual answers for God’s children.)

3. You Will Not Find Rest In Self-Pity (This will only cause the valley to deepen.)

4. You Will Not Find Rest In Sinfulness (God will not allow His children to enjoy sinfulness.)

5. You Will Not Find Rest In The Things Of The World (They do not satisfy the inner longings of the saved.)

6. You Can Only Find Rest In The Things Of God!

WHERE CAN WE FIND REST?

1. We Can Find Rest In Our Salvation - Isaiah 32:16 -18 Then judgment shall dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness remain in the fruitful field. 17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever. 18 And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places; (If the whole world sinks, you are still saved and Heaven bound!)

2. We Can Find Rest In The Scriptures - 2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

3. We Can Find Rest In Our Sleep - Psalms 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Psalms 37:40 And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.

4. We Can Find Rest In Our Service – 2 Corinthians 7:5 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.

John 6:19-20 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid. But he saith unto them, It is I; be not afraid.

Mark 6:31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.

5. We Can Find Rest In Our Spirit – 2 Corinthians 2:13 I had no rest in my spirit, because I found not Titus my brother: but taking my leave of them, I went from thence into Macedonia.

Psalms 56:3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.

6. We Can Find Rest In Our Sanctuary - Acts 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

Psalms 84:1 How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts! My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God. Yea, the sparrow hath found an house, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, even thine altars, O LORD of hosts, my King, and my God. Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.

7. We Can Find Rest In Our Saviour - Matthew 11:28-29 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

2 Timothy 4:17 Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion.

Psalms 91:1-7 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall over thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

No comments: