Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Soul Winning and Obligation

Temple Baptist Church 03-05-2008

2 Corinthians 6:1-18

Introduction:


A. Chapters 5 and 6 are contextually the same. They deal with our salvation, the Judgment Seat of Christ, and call to win souls for Christ. We found in chapter 5 that we are now Ambassadors for Christ and have been given the ministry of reconciliation.

B. I am amazed at the number of people we meet on visitation who say, “I am glad that you are doing this!” My question is this: “Then why are you not doing this?” Independent Baptist have traded door-to-door visitation for programs and proselyting!

C. I want to look at several things in this chapter over the next few weeks that show forth both the necessity and means of soul winning.

D. Tonight, I want us to see that soul winning is everyone’s responsibility.

1. Soul Winning Is To Be Done Corporately – vs. 1 - 1 Corinthians 3:5-8 Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. 8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

a. We Need Workers – soul winning is each and everyone’s job - Matthew 9:36-38 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. 37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

1) Through Prayer - 1 Timothy 2:1-4 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, [and] giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

2) Through Tracts - Psalms 68:11 The Lord gave the word: great [was] the company of those that published [it].

3) Through One On One Witnessing - Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem , and in all Judaea, and in Samaria , and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

4) Through Door-To-Door Visitation - Luke 14:23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel [them] to come in, that my house may be filled.

b. We Need Unity – “together” – cooperation on the job – 1 Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.

1) No Competition - Luke 9:49-50 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. 50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid [him] not: for he that is not against us is for us. (I pray that every Bible believing church knocks on doors and wins souls. I pray that every one of the prosper and grow. I do not want their sheep!)

2) No Bragging – 1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who [is] Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? (I got on the mailing list of an independent Baptist church that, at least once a year, lists men along with the number that they “won to the Lord” listed. One man supposedly won over 1700 to the Lord in personal evangelism in one year. This is about 5 souls won per day!)

c. We Need Power – “with Him” – makes the work much more profitable - Matthew 28:18-19 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

1) God Gave The Son
2) God Gave The Word
3) God Gives The Increase

2. Soul Winning Is To Be Done Urgently – “Now is the day of salvation” - vs. 2

a. Grace Received To The Saving Of Our Soul – God saved you on the “today” that you called upon Him.

Isaiah 49:8 Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;

Ezekiel 16:8 Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time [was] the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine.

b. Grace Received To No Avail In Soul Winning – Not to share the Gospel is to have received it in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which [was bestowed] upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

No comments: